Thursday, May 15, 2014

Boobs to Bottles- Learn from My Mistake

Today's linked up topic is on transitioning from breast or formula feeding to milk. I have absolutely zero experience with formula feeding so i will talk about breast feeding to milk and you all can learn from all of my mistakes in this area. 

I have been blessed with the opportunity to breast feed both of my beautiful babies. I honestly was all about it with Leighton and so much so i was determined to feed her until she was at least two. I read so many great things about bonding and health that i was not opposed to feeding as long as she possibly would. That did not work out how i had hoped though. I started to lose my milk supply just a few weeks into my second pregnancy. Leighton was only 10 months old and i didn't even know i was pregnant yet. I got nervous and did everything i could to get it back. With out much luck Leighton slowly began taking more and more bottles, and by the time she was 11 1/2 months old she was almond milk from a bottle only. Not only was I devastated but Leighton was a year old and for the first time hooked on a bottle. (She drinks almond milk because she is allergic to dairy, and we aren't huge dairy fans anyways)


Break my heart here is the mistake i made... I transitioned her to a bottle. Wow was that stupid! Judge all you want, I have a 2 year old that takes a bottle every night before bed. I am a total push over but I changed her comfort from me to a bottle. 


Still I suggest breast feed as long as possible! The health benefits are out of this world. I know some people are turned off by breast feeding, it's possible to do in good taste. Use a cover or feed in private. If you are able it is the most loving and beneficial act you can do for your baby. It has been a beautiful and very fulfilling experience with both if my girls and not to mention it's saved sooo much money. 


When it is time to introduce milk. I think around 1 year is the easiest and healthiest time to do this, start with a sippy. Oh how I wish I would have. Milk or Almond milk is usually much sweeter and is almost like a treat so it's not that hard of a transition for the milk itself. But remember breast feeding is not only about milk, it's about comfort and attachment too. Help your child to find comfort in other ways than nursing. Introducing a stuffed animal or blanket is great at this time and make sure to still hold and cuddle your little one. They will notice a lack of physical contact if you don't. 


For mamas, remember this transition might not be easy on you. Your hormones will change. You might break out or feel very emotional. It is so normal, just be aware of it. You might be needing all the holding and cuddles you get from your little one too! 

When you get to this point I wish you the best of luck! How have you transitioned from breast milk to milk? 

Don't forget to check out the other bloggers and their experiences in the link up! 



5 comments:

  1. Great post!! My first took a bottle and that was hard to take away. He weaned himself from breastfeeding, but the bottle was a different thing. We went cold turkey on that one. But my second and third never took a bottle so the transition was a tad bit easier. But everyones situation is different. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information!! It is always nice to hear others experiences and know you aren't alone.
    I didn't nurse my oldest. I tried but I was so private and my husbands family does not nurse so it was so awkward for me to nurse when they were around, even if I went to another room it felt awkward. So I ended up giving her a bottle. With my second I was determined to nurse him. I never did it out in front of anyone. But I wasn't as worried about excusing myself to another room to feed him. He refused to nurse after 6 months so he went to a bottle. My third nursed for a year and I would have loved to have gone longer but my husband and I were going out of town so I weaned baby to a bottle. We tried a sippy but he wouldn't drink much so we tried a bottle and he drank more. Plus I felt like because I was taking away his nursing I was willing to give him whatever he wanted to keep him happy. He is now 16 months and still has a bottle but I don't really mind. I feel like if I give him a sippy it makes him older and I'm not ready for him to be older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely how i felt with Leighton, i would do anything to comfort her. I am glad to know i am not the only one who went straight to a bottle, but next time we will try going to a sippy first. Nursing vs. Bottle feeding is such a personal decision.

      Delete
  3. This was a great post!! Thank you!! We loved out breastfeeding experience and if we ever have another I plan to do it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize she started weaning so early!! I remember thinking you were crazy for wanting to nurse past a year....

    Now I get it. HA!

    ReplyDelete