Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Auntie May May is Serving a Mission

My sister Sarah is off to the MTC today. We chose to stay home while the rest of my family drops her off. I am not sure i would be able to let her out of the car if i were there and I know Leighton definitely would not make it easy for her to leave. Sarah and I have not always been close, but since graduating high school i tried very hard to form a relationship with all of my sisters, especially Sarah. She is now my best friend and really so much more than that. Sarah lived with us for a couple of years while she was in school and got to be here to see Leighton born and every exciting moment of her first year of life. 

Leighton says, Mommy, Daddy and May May like it is completely normal. Every child has a May May right? The person they can go straight to when mom and dad don't give them what they want? 

As excited as i am for my sister i cant help but feel sad that she is leaving. I almost feel a little upset, like how in the world is she okay with leaving me? I know it is totally selfish, but really who am i going to text 100 + times a day to give them a completely useless run down of my day... so leighton just peed her pants, Emerysn just rolled over, look at this ridiculously horrible grammar on someones insta? No one else wants to read my pathetic texts. I am sure she actually didn't care to either. But she did and i got to hear about cross fit, and her cleaning the house for the thousandth time. 


Columbia, South Carolina is gaining the most amazing Sister ever. I know Sarah will do well there. She already loves the south and is so prepared to share her testimony. People are drawn to her and she is easy to talk to and it doesn't hurt that she is one of the most beautiful women you can ever meet. The spirit is so strong when she speaks of the gospel and this is why i know i can let her leave for the next 18 months. The Lord needs her more than i do. There are people out there that need to church in their lives and thanks to two missionaries, I have already been blessed with it in mine. 


As much as i just want to complain about my sister leaving me, i hope she knows how proud i am of her. I don't think i would be the person i am today with out her example to follow. She has always been happy and kind hearted. Somehow she can only see the good in people and i have admired it so. I hope she knows that everyone at home will be praying for her, that she is supported and loved and that even if every day isn't easy, it is worth it. I know that serving a mission will not only bless the lives of others but hers as well. As she loses herself in the Lords work she will learn things that will help her for eternity. I want her to know that i support her because i too know that the church is true. That Joseph Smith was a true prophet and was called of God to restore the gospel to the earth. I know that through righteous living and being sealed in the temple my family can be together forever. To me there can be no greater joy than that which comes from living the standards of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 



*If you'd like to follow Sarah's mission click here.

5 comments:

  1. I wish her the best! It must be hard to miss her for so long. I don't really know how a mission work so i should google more about it :) She is really stunning, did you took these pictures? Much love, Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella! It is hard not seeing her, but she is doing great! If you would like to follow her mission blog i fixed the link in my post. Also you can learn more about missions at mormon.org. She is very beautiful isnt she? I did take her pictures, they were so much fun!
      xo, Laura

      Delete
    2. Oh amazing, I would love to read more about the mission, just sounds so hard to be on a mission. Have you done yourself? Your pictures are amazing.. Which camera and lens are you using? Are you a photographer? (like for money and stuff) I'll follow her blog! (can't comment because using hotmail, and i figured you can only comment if you're using a gmail so that's why I'm anonymous (sounds bit creepy ha?) Love your blog! Wish you and your girls the best!

      Delete
    3. Oh hi, me again! I just read about the mission. She can't call you for the next 18 months? She can only email and write letters. That sound really hard. I couldn't understand all of the rules or the things she will be doing there. Could you perhaps right some more in my language? (i mean understandably) I love to follow her story. I'm just scared i might have a wrong impression about the mission right now. I read she can't call, she can't wear whatever she want and she has to sell the religion? I hope you guys will manage it! Much love! Ella

      Delete
    4. Hi Ella!

      Feel free to email me too with any questions you have. Laura_Joyce8912@hotmail.com. Sarah is serving a mission for the LDS church. Which means for the next 18 months she will be sharing the church with anyone who is interested. While you are on a mission you are giving your time to the Lord. That is why it is serving a mission. You choose to do this on your own, the church does not require it but they recommend it for all young men and women if they feel like they should. I personally did not serve a mission. I got married when i was 19 years old. Up until this year you had to be 21 to serve one, now you can be 19. So rules of a mission are that you are basically never alone, you always have a companion with you, you usually can recognice LDS or Mormon missionaries because they are dressed in suits with name tags if they are young men or skirts to their knees and name tags and are in a pair, always two men together, and two women together. The reason that they wear church clothes is to stand out, and to show respect since they are serving the Lord. My husband served a mission too. HIs mission was for 2 years and in North Carolina, just a coincidince. There are missionaries all over the world, in almost every country. Missionaries email and write letters so that they can focus on their work, So Sarah actually doesn't get on social media at all, which sounds crazy but she is so busy teaching about the church that she doesn't notice. Actually the only times that Sarah will call home is on Mothers Day and on Christmas. Those are the two days that all Missionaries get to call home. I hope this helps and i explain everything right. Honestly if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

      As for pictures, i use to have a small business but now i just do it for fun. I have a canon 7d and just a 50 mm lens.

      Delete