Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Motherly Advice {Being a Holy Woman}


A couple of weeks ago I read the most eye opening little book. Now if you aren't religious don't go running when I say the title is How to be a Holy Woman. This book fell on my head (literally) around Christmas time when I was looking for gifts for a few of the special women in my life. My mother in law passed it on to me after she finished with it. Basically it was about asking yourself what holiness means and how to help yourself to become a holier person.

What did I take from it? What are my priorities? Do i focus on them? How can I use my time for better rather than for useless things. 

I realized if I am going to be better I need to be present in my daughters lives, I stay home with them but it is so easy for me to stick them in front of the tv and focus on the home, work, and working out. While those things are great too they are not what is most important. I need to take time to focus on my childrens needs. 

I also need to work on supporting my husband. I have talked about this a lot. Lately I have felt very upset with how severely under paid he is. I tell him constantly to ask for a raise, his job doesn't appreciate how hard he works, and that they'll never let him move up where he is at. (Even though it's all true) I need to stop. I need to let him know he is a hard worker, that I appreciate how hard he works for our family and that if he is happy with what he does, then I am as well. 

Being a wife and mother is not always easy. I tend to feel like I'm always trying to "keep up". This is the last thing I am going to be working on. If I want to be holier or just better in general, I need to quit comparing myself to others and measure myself only against my past self. Have I improved from where I was a year ago? I'm not sure. But i plan to track my progress this way from now on.

Now on to my advice to you. What do you think a holy woman would do? Are you doing those things? Are you truly striving everyday to be better? If not, then make your own list. Put what you feel is most important at the top and start there. Everytime you feel that slight question in your mind whether what you are doing is right or not ask yourself will this make be a better person, is this what a holy woman would do? If not, change your course of action. I promise it helps. So far it has helped me to be calmer, to enjoy my children more and to see how simple life can be and still feel fulfilling. 



2 comments:

  1. Ugh. I totally get it!! Our marriage has been through the ringer since we moved here thanks to Eric's job. Most of it was my fault for being SO negative and I've really tried to be better about it (I hope you've noticed less venting as well, ha!)
    I've always admired the mind of wife and mom you are! You are better than you give yourself credit for! But at the same time, this is the best reminder that we always need to work on being better and improving!! (Oh but really, most of it is the job, it's not a very family oriented place obviously, or they wouldn't focus so hard on making everyone so miserable. Just had to add that part so I don't sound like I'm discounting your frustrations.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that last part was supposed to be in the first paragraph. Weird!

    ReplyDelete