Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Tips For Traveling With Littles From A Pro

This weeks Link Up just might be the only one i feel like i am an expert on. Traveling with toddlers? Heck I have been traveling with my babies since they were born. Having kids was not about to slow me down. Granted traveling with babies may be easier than a toddler, they can't run away and they don't scream crazy things like your hurting me when you are holding them on a plane, but you can totally kick butt at it, i promise!




Make sure your trip is littles approved-
Basically we have yet to take a trip we couldn't include our babes on but we did plan things to do with them. When we go to vegas we aren't out walking the strip at midnight or staying at hotels with party pools. On our cruise we didn't go to any of the late night shows but that was fine with us. Where ever we go we try to find things to do outside or that are new experiences for the girls. One of our favorites is finding beautiful parks or places to explore. We almost always visit a park at least once to give Leighton time to play.




Be organized and know what you are packing for-
No matter where we go I plan out outfits, how many days will be gone? I double the outfits. A set for the first of the day, half a set in case of accidents and half a set in case of crazy weather. Then I plan wether or not i need to take the essentials with me. (diapers, food, etc.) When we went on a cruise i took jar food, pouches, diapers, snacks everything. When we go to cities, Seattle, San Diego, and Nashville I pack the bare minimum. Only enough diapers to last getting there and the first night, same goes for food. A great trick i learned to get me organized for our first few trips, put each day into its own ziploc baggy, outfit with backup and accessories. 



Carrier, stroller, car seat or all of the above-
I do not travel with out both my wrap and the stroller. So far we haven't had to fly with our double stroller but i wouldn't hesitate to take it at all. We have always dragged along the car seat as well. Luckily we don't rent cars very often but we need it in case we take a taxi (only use carrier styled seat) or borrow a car from a friend. Airlines will allow you to check both a car seat and a stroller for free when a baby (under 2) is flying with you. I check the car seat with my bags and the stroller at the gate. This is the tricky part and where my wrap comes in handy. I wrap baby/ toddler on, throw on a backpack. (I always use a back pack as my carry on/ diaper bag when traveling.) Push the stroller down to the plane and that way i have 2 hands to fold it up and your babe isn't running away from you. Ta Da genius right? 



Dont fret schedules and bring entertainment-
So this one time Leighton watched Pocohantas about a billion times in one week. I am not proud of it, but i was opening the Nashville store and I did not have time to worry about forcing her to sleep. Kids do not sleep well outside of their environment, its just how it is. They will survive a week with an upset schedule. I promise. When we go to Disneyland the girls nap if they fall asleep in the stroller. No way are we going to skip out on hours at the happiest place on earth so they can get a nap in. Same goes with all of our vacation they do get their sleep, believe me when they are tired enough it will happen. Just be sure to keep other forms of entertainment on hand. Movies via phone or iPad, books, coloring, small toys, snacks,whatever will keep them happy. This way you can plan your vacation activities and not be stressing what times to do what because you need to take a 2 hour break in between or be back to the room by 7 for bed time. 




Hope these tips were helpful! Traveling with our girls is one of our favorite things, really. We have trips planned for years to come. Getting out of your normal surroundings and experiencing new things is one of the best ways your children can learn. There is so much culture and life out there to explore and there is no reason to not include your littles while you do. 

Read other bloggers advice on traveling with littles here.

P.S. Go enter my summer go t's giveaway in yesterdays post.



8 comments:

  1. You are a pro at traveling with littles! Are you going to know how to pack with OUT littles for our trip? Ha ha! Speaking of... we need to go shopping!! OR virtual shopping ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great tips! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so legit!! i'm glad i asked for your disney advice, it definitely encouraged me about going!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound like a professional! I completely agree on packing double the outfits for the days you'll be gone: you just never know what's going to happen! Such a clever idea of putting each day into its own little baggie... maybe I'll have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got to visit Europe once! You"ll love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new follower - found your blog from the link up. My little one is 8 months this week and is just starting to get hair - I wonder if it'll be red like Leighton's! When you travel, what time do the little ones go to bed? We take Olivia everywhere, but she becomes a mess around 7 - so without a sitter - if we were in a hotel or something - our night ends at dinner. Ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found the blog, thanks for following! Having a red head is so fun! I have somewhat trained my girls to sleep in their car seats and I have a car seat cover which helps. When we are traveling we tend to have late nights, especially dinners. It doesn't always go super smoothly but we try to get them to sleep in their car seats and then cover them once they are, this worked till Leighton was about 18 months. Now Leighton is too big for that so we entertain her with movies or apps on the phone and iPad.

      Delete
    2. We also do this with the stroller too! Leighton actually will go to sleep in there. Think Disneyland till midnight. The babes are out by 8 or night and we keep playing. Good luck! And hope this helps.

      Delete